Header Image 1
Places, Earth
Kern County Museum
Header Image 2

National Parks Under Attack
This Web site doesn't like to take political stands, but now it is necessary.

The current administration wants to reduce the size and number of National Monuments and allow oil drilling and mining in National Parks for the first time since the system was established. If you prefer trees and streams to oil wells and pipelines, contact your representatives in Washington NOW and tell them to protect these Crown Jewels of America.

Places Earth extends sympathies and hopes to both the people fighting to restore their lives in Puerto Rica and to those who’s lives have been taken or disrupted by the shooting in Las Vegas. Also to hurricane victims in Texas, Florida, and other areas of the Gulf region. Also to the fire victims in California. So many disasters in short time, all made worse by climate change.

State Parks, Historic Sites, and Museums need your help.

Throughout the country, state parks, historic sites, museums, and similar institutions are struggling to continue operating. Because of general financial problems, many of these institutions are operating on a reduced schedule or in danger of closing. Some are being forced to sell off artifacts and property. Many will not weather these hard times without your help.

Places Earth urges everyone to support these vital and important public resources any way you can. Please donate your treasure, time, and talent. Write to your governor and other elected officials telling them to find a way to keep state parks open. It will be your loss.


Public Service Announcement


Film Los Angeles - bring Hollywood back to Hollywood
Explanation.
This web site contains no paid advertising. Donations help.

Back
Kern County Main Page

Kern County Museum

All photographs taken by Kenneth A. Larson. All rights reserved. © 2009 - 2017.


The Kern County Museum was founded in 1941 to "collect, preserve, research, and present the history and culture of Kern County for the education and enjoyment of the public." World War II caused a delay and the museum didn't full open until 1945 in a section of the basement to the Chamber of Commerce building. Within a few years, the museum had outgrown the basement and historic buildings from the area were being moved to the adjacent former fair grounds. The Lori Brock Children's Discovery Center opened in 1976 as an independent entity and was added to the museum in 1993.
Today, the museum consists of a museum building and 16 acres of over 50 old buildings moved to the site.

People first came to the Kern County areas 10,000-12,000 years ago. Early inhabitants were Chumash, Kawaiisu, Kitanemuk, Serrano, Tubatulabal, and Yokuts. The Spanish explorer Pedro Fages arrived in 1772. Mexico won independence from Spain in 1821 but lost what is now the Southwest United State to the United States in 1848. Kern County was formed from parts of Los Angeles and Tulare Counties in 1866. Most of the new county was too wet with swamps, lakes, and tule reeds to farm, mines dominated. Settlers drained many of the wet areas and farming began. As the economic engine of the county switched from mines to agriculture, the county seat was moved from the mining town of Havilah to Bakersfield in 1874. Later. oil became a second economic engine and today, agriculture and oil flourish in Kern County.

Hours:
Sunday: 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Tuesday-Saturday: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Address:
3801 Chester Avenue
Bakersfield
661-852-5000

Beale Memorial Clocktower

Beale Memorial Clocktower originally stood at the center of the intersection of Chester Avenue and 17th Street in downtown Bakersfield. It was dedicated on April 2, 1904 and was a gift by Truxtan Beale in memory of his mother, Mary Edward Beale. This tower was reconstructed using pieces of the original in the early 1960s and dedicated in 1964.
Beale Memorial Clocktower Beale Memorial Clocktower
Beale Memorial Clocktower in the lawn in front of the museum.
Beale Memorial Clocktower Beale Memorial Clocktower Beale Memorial Clocktower
Beale Memorial Clocktower in the lawn in front of the museum.

Kern County Chamber of Commerce

This Spanish style structure, designed by Architect Charles H. Biggar, was built adjacent to the Kern County Fair Grounds. It quickly evolved from The Chamber of Commerce into the Kern County Museum.
Chamber of Commerce Chamber of Commerce
Chamber of Commerce. The museum began in the basement of this building but soon outgrew its home.

Gift Shop
Gift Shop.
Butterfly
Butterfly.

Howell House

The Howell family, William Howell, his parents, and sisters moved to Kern County from Nebraska in 1877. William became a court reporter at the Kern County Superior Court and later became a County Auditor and businessman. In 1891, William hired John Singleton to build this Queen Anne style Victorian home, designed by Architect A. B. Chase. William married Elizabeth Dugan in 1901 and they raised their two children in this home. The house, which was originally located at the northeast corner of 17th and H Streets, was moved to the museum in 1969.
Corner
Corner.
Front facade
Front facade.
Front door
Front door.
Turret
Turret.
Piano Piano
Piano, probably a parlor.
Piano
Piano.
Fireplace
Fireplace.
Looking through to the dining room
Looking through to the dining room.
Office
Office.
Door header
Door header.
Decorated hinge
Decorated hinge.
Home Altar
Home Altar.
Dining table
Dining table.
Kitchen
Kitchen.
Stove/oven
Stove/oven.
Bed
Bed.
Bedroom
Bedroom.
Bedroom
Bedroom.
Toy wheelbarrow
Toy wheelbarrow.
Stair Newell Post
Stair Newell Post.
Stair landing
Stair landing.
Stair
Stair.
Model steam engine
Model steam engine.
Porch
Porch.
Howell House and Lopez-Hill House, and Land Office
Howell House and Lopez-Hill House, and Land Office.
Howell House and Lopez-Hill House
Howell House and Lopez-Hill House.

López Hill House

José and Mary Lopez were among the first generation of Americans born in California after statehood.
José Lopez came to Kern County in 1873 to herd sheep. Edward Beale, owner of the Tejon Ranch, hired José a year later and in 1885 made him manager, a position he held for twenty-four years. Mary Winter and her family, Scottish immigrants, settled in the Tehachapi Mountains of Kern County in 1868. José and Mary were married in 1885.

In 1966, Lois Lavern Hill and her family moved into the house. Lois lived in the house for forty years and her chldren donated the house to the museum in 2008.
Front facade
Front facade.
Front facade
Front facade.
Piano
Piano.
Window header
Window header.
Picture rail
Picture rail.
Refrigerator and washing machine
Refrigerator and washing machine.
Stove
Stove.
Bathroom
Bathroom.
Bed
Bed.
Dining Room
Dining Room.
Bathroom
Bathroom.
Cupboard
Cupboard.
Bedroom
Bedroom.
Bedroom
Bedroom.
Lopez-Hill House in foreground and Howell House beyond
Lopez-Hill House in foreground and Howell House beyond.

Adobe House

This structure was constructed to resemble an adobe dwelling during the 1800s, built from salvaged adobe from a 1930s residence in Bakersfield. The original home belonged to William and Flora Deuel Combs and was located near Fairfax Road and Brundage Lane.
Adobe House exterior Adobe House exterior
Adobe House exterior.
Adobe House interior
Interior.

Bena Depot

The Bena Depot was located a few miles west of the Tehachapi Loop, an important railroad engineering accomplishment connecting San Francisco and Los Angeles. The Depot was a freight depot and telegraph station routing trains over the Tehachapi Mountains. The depot came to the Museum in 1961.
Bena Depot
Exterior.
Bena Depot
The Depot from the Weill House.
Bena Depot
Interior
Bena Depot
Shoeshine, 10 cents.
Bena Depot
Ticket Window.
Engine #2914 Engine #2914
Engine #2914 was a large 4-8-0 wheel configuration (4 pilot wheels, 8 drive wheels, no trailing wheels) used for hauling freight in the early 1900s, one of the largest locomotives operating at the time. This locomotive was built by the Schenectady Locomotive Works in 1898 and pulled well while easy to operate and were used from its delivery in 1901 until the diesel made them obsolete in1955. It was built as a coal burner and converted to oil burning. It was used on the McKittrick, Sunset and Oil City Branches, hauling freight over the Tehachapi Mountains, and in the Southern Pacific yards in East Bakersfield. The locomotive came to the Museum in 1955 using a spur track from the nearby mainline.
Engine #2914 Engine #2914
Engine #2914.
Engine #2914
Engine #2914.
Santa Fe Caboose #1323 Santa Fe Caboose #1323 was built in 1923 and served the Santa Fe Railroad in the southwestern states and was donated to the Museum in 1956. In the earlier days of railroad, before automatic systems, the caboose was the work site for the train crew who watched over the train, assisted with manual braking, and signals to other trains.
Santa Fe Caboose #1323 Santa Fe Caboose #1323
Santa Fe Caboose #1323.
RR Scale building and Railroad Phone Booth This Scale House was used in the Santa Fe Railroad switchyard in Bakersfield. The building monitored a nearby scale that tracked the weight of cars and trains since railroads charged for cargo by weight and needed to know the capacity of the pulling locomotive. The building was donated to the Museum in 1963. The railroad phone booth is nearby in this photo.
Railroad Phone Booth Railroad Phone Booth
This Railroad Phone Booth was located at the railroad crossing at Chester Avenue near 34th Street. These phone booths were common at important railroad locations. The phone booth was donated to the Museum in 1977.
Tank House Tank House
Tank House.
Southern Pacific Railroad Jail Southern Pacific Railroad Jail was one of the first buildings donated to the Museum. As the railroads expanded across the county, crime often followed and this jail could be placed on a railcar and taken where needed.

Streets
Streets. Left edge, Howell House. Center is Lopez-Hill Houae.
Street
Street. Fat left is Depot. Center is Weill House with other houses beyond. Right side mid-ground is Drug Store.
Street
Street. At right, distant Howell House, Adobe House at mid-ground. At left distant is Lopez-Hill House.
Street
Street. Foreground left is Land Office, General Store beyond. Metcalf House yellow house.

Barn
Barn
Brown building
Brown building off in a corner.


Barns Log Cabin

Barns Log Cabin
Barns Log Cabin
Thomas Barns, a Confederate veteran, built this cabin in 1868 from logs washed into the valley from the Sierra Nevada Mountains following major flooding. He lived in ther cabin with his wife, Jane, and their seven children. The Barns grew alfalfa, wheat, corn, and peaches on a 160 acre farm southwest of Bakersfield near Kern and Buena Vista Lakes. The cabin was moved to the Museum in 1946.

Land Office

This building was originally the home of Oscar and Libbie Rudnick and was located at the Kern Valley Packing Company where Libbie cooked for the empoyees of the meat packing plant. The Kern County Land Office was organized in 1890 built irrigation systems to attract farmers and artifacts from this business are displayed in the structure. The structure was donated to the museum in 1977 by Elynor Rudnick.
Land Office exterior Land Office exterior
Land Office exterior.

Land Office interior Land Office interior
Land Office interior.
Fairhaven Pump House Fairhaven Pump House. The Fairhaven Water Company built this water tower in 1921 in the center of the intersection of Fairhaven Drive and East Drive northwest of Bakersfield. The building houses the wall and pump and operated until the California Water Service Company acquired the district. The building was donated to the Museum in 1982.
Kern City French Bakery The Kern City French Bakery was constructed in 1910 as the Kern City French Bakery at 717 East 21st Street. The city of Summner was founded in 1874 and later the name changed to East Bakersfield, then Kern, then Kern City. About 1920, the bakery was producing about 1,000 loaves of bread and rolls daily, most delivered to home and hotels, the rest was sold in the store. Pierre and Juanita Laxague purchased the bakery from Joe and Lea Gueydan in 1947, changing the name to Pyrenees Bakery, and donated the building to the Museum in 1961.

Weill House

In 1870, Alphones came to Kern County from France, settling at first in the mining town of Havilah working as a merchant. Alphonse moved to Bakersfield two years later and later opened a general merchandise store which he operated for over 70 years. Henrietta Levy from San Francisco moved to Bakersfield when she married Alphones in 1882 and they raised four children, Blanch, Irma, Adele, and Lawrence. Henrietta was a member of numerous civic organizations and worked to improve the lives of residents of Kern County through education and social service. The Weill family donated the house to the Museum in 1950.
Front facade
Front facade.
Dining room Dining room
Dining room, interior of the Weill House.
Interior of the Weill House Interior of the Weill House
Interior of the Weill House.
Interior of the Weill House Interior of the Weill House
Interior of the Weill House.
Front facade of the Weill House Front facade of the Weill House
Front facade of the Weill House.
Front porch
Front porch.
Looking at the Depot from the porch of the Weill House
Looking at the Depot from the porch of the Weill House.

Gazebo

Christian Matty built this gazebo about 1905 next to a dormitory at Kern County High School. The school, which taught agriculture classes, was located at 25th and M Streets and later moved to Stine Road in Bakersfield. The building came to the Museum in 1966.
Gazebo Gazebo
Gazebo adjacent to Weill House.

Saint John Mission

Saint John Episcopal Mission began its good works in 1892 operating in Rosedale. The church did not have a resident pastor, a pastor from Saint Paul's in Bakersfield traveled to this church until it closed in 1920. The building became a residence and came to the Museum when a road widening in 1950 threatened the building.
Saint John Mission Saint John Mission
Saint John Mission front facade.
Saint John Mission
Front facade.
Saint John Mission
Interior.
Saint John Mission Saint John Mission
Saint John Mission interior.
Street near Saint John Mission
Street near Saint John Mission.

Miller & Lux Survey Office

Henry Miller and Charles Lux purchased large areas of land in California, Nevada, and Oregon, most in the San Joaquin Valley, to control cattle operations to supply their butchering operations in San Francisco. Buttonwillow was the Kern County headquarters for the Miller & Lux land and agricultural partnership. Their surveyors accurately measured and recorded boundaries, elevations, and dimensions of their lands. This structure was built about 1906 to use as a survey office and later was used by Buena Vista Water Storage District. The Buttonwillow Chamber of Commerce donated the building to the Museum in 1966.
Miller-Lux and Survey Exterior
Exterior.
Miller-Lux and Survey Exterior
Exterior.
Miller-Lux and Survey sign
Sign.
Miller-Lux and Survey interior
Interior.

Patricia Brown Place
Patricia Brown Place.

Kern Valley Bank

The Kern Valley Bank was established soon after the Panic of 1873 and survived to operate for 37 years. Solomon Jewett co-founded the bank on he corner of 18th Street and Chester Avenue in downtown Bakersfield. Jewett served as bank president from 1874 to 1905. The bank closed six years later. The structure was built by Ronald McDonald about 1892 and later was used as a residence located on Beale Avenue in East Bakersfield. It came to the Museum in 1959.
Bank exterior Bank exterior
Bank exterior.
Bank exterior Bank exterior
Bank exterior.
Bank interior Bank interior
Bank interior.
Bank interior
Bank interior.

Pinkney House

William Pinkney was born in South Carolina and came to Bakersfield in 1884 with his parents to pick cotton for a year. William later worked wrangling cattle and other jobs. Amanda Boydston was born in Kansas and settled with her parents in the San Gabriel Valley, then moved to Bakersfield. They were married in 1892, Amanda was a widow with two young daughters. They bought this house in 1900 was was originally located at 812 H. Street. Members of the family donated the house to the Museum in 1964.
Pinkney House Exterior
Exterior.
Pinkney House Dining table
Dining table.

Weller House

William and Irena Weller and their children, Amos and Alma, settled in Rosedale in 1898. Their house was originally located on their farm west of Bakersfield. In 1899, Amos Weller purchased a general store from W. R. Sheppard for the price of $1.00. By 1910, William was working as a clerk for his son. A granddaughter donated the house to the Museum in 1957.
Weller House exterior
Weller House exterior.
Weller House interior
Weller House interior.
Weller House, screened porch Weller House, screened porch
Weller House, screened porch.

Dentist's Office

This structure, formerly a farm house four miles west of Bakersfield, was donated to the Museum in 1957. A one-room farmhouse such as this would have eventually been replaced with a larger home and used as a shed. Today it is used to show a Dental Office. Dental care was not common about 1900 and tooth extraction may have been performed by anyone with the skill.
Dentist's Office Front facade
Front facade.
Dentist's Office Sign
Sign.
Dentist's Office Board and batt wall detail
Board and batt wall detail.
Dentist's Office interior Dentist's Office interior
Dentist's Office interior.

Doctor's Office

Doctors Office There were fifteen physicians in Kern County in 1875 serving a scattered population of approximately 2,700 people. In these days before anti-bionics and anaesthetics, doctors were mostly limited to relieving pain, dealing with broken bones and wounds, minor surgeries, and comfort the dying. This building may have once been a residence in McKittrick. It came to the Museum in 1957.
Doctors Office Doctors Office
Doctors Office.

Drug Store

Originally this building was used by a 'dray and transfer' business, a dray was a two-wheeled or four-wheeled wagon for transporting heavy loads. wheeled. It was located at 18th Street in downtown Bakersfield.

The building was donated to the Museum in 1955. Today it represents a Drug Store of about 1900. Early pharmacists compounded prescription medicine and made their own pills and medications.
Front facade of the Drug Store Front facade of the Drug Store
Front facade of the Drug Store.
Front facade of the Drug Store
Front facade of the Drug Store.
Side facade
Side facade.
Drug Store facade and street
Drug Store facade and street.
Drug Store interior Drug Store interior
Drug Store interior with shelves of drugs and medications.
Drug Store interior Drug Store interior
Drug Store interior with shelves of drugs and medications.

General Store

Joseph Weringer operated this store which was built about 1926 in the mining town of Woody in the mountains north of Bakersfield. He also owned other businesses including a mine, blacksmith shop, garage, and hotel. The building was donated to the Museum in 1957.
General Store front facade
General Store front facade.
General Store interior General Store interior.
General Store interior General Store interior
General Store interior.
General Store interior General Store interior
General Store interior.

Harness Shop

Originally this structure was a carriage shed belonging to Stonewall and Odile Woody and was located behind their home at 2204 E Street. The building was donated to the Museum in 1957 and today is arranged as a Harness Shop. Horses were important to farmers and others. Harness and tack were important to keep horses safe while they worked.
Harness Shop Harness Shop
Harness Shop front facade.

Joss House

Joss House The Joss House pay tribute to the Chinese community. Buildings of this type were constructed in the 1870s in Bakersfield as religious temples referred to as a Joss House. The items in this house were donated by the Chinese community. The Chinese worked on farms, the railroad, and as business owners. This building was originally a residence donated to the Museum in 1979.
Joss House Joss House
Joss House interior.
Joss House
Looking out from the Joss House.
Joss House, MillerMiller-Lux Survey, Depot
(left to right) Joss House, MillerMiller-Lux Survey, Depot.

Kern Court House and Jail

This is a reconstructed building (1953) using salvaged pieces from the court house from Claraville. The first county seat for Kern County was located in Havilah. This represents that first court house. There is also a jail for the less law abiding.
Kern Court House exterior Kern Court House exterior
Kern Court House exterior.
Kern Court House interior Kern Court House interior
Kern Court House interior.
Kern Court House interior
Kern Court House interior.
Jail Jail
The jail for those not following the law.
Jail Jail
The jail for those not following the law.
Jail Jail
The jail for those not following the law.

Havilah Courier

Havilah Courier This building, originally located on Taft Highway near the Buena Vista Gold Course, was donated in 1957. Today is depicts Weekly Courier, Kern County's first newspaper, first published by George Tiffany on August 18, 1866 in the county seat of Havilah. Havilah is located in the Sierra Nevada Mountains 45 miles northeast of Bakersfield.
Havilah Courier Havilah Courier

Hospital

This building was once home to Judge George Flournoy and located on Brundage Lane in Bakersfield. It was donated to the Museum in 1976.

Today the building is arranged as a Hospital of about 1900. In the late 1800s, hospitals served the impoverished and care was not good. The first county hospital opened in 1875 at 13th and G Streets in Bakersfield. This hospital was replaced in 1895 by a new hospital on Oak Street.
Front facade of Hospital Front facade of Hospital
Front facade of Hospital.
Office of Hospital Office of Hospital.
Interior examination area of Hospital Interior examination area of Hospital
Interior examination area of Hospital.

Street Scenes


Occidental Avenue
Occidental Avenue.
Area behind the Wells Fargo building
Area behind the Wells Fargo building.

Band Stand

Bandstand Bandstands were important elements in parks that were becoming popular as cities grew. This bandstand was built at the Museum in 1956.

Metcalf House

Metcalf House Thomas Metcalf was born in Clairsville, Ohio and served in the Union Army in the Civil War. Two years after the war, he married Elizabeth Wible and they had two children, Simon and Modena (Maude). The family moved to Kern County in 1883 and settled on a ranch south of Bakersfield. They built this Eastlake-style Victorian house in 1885 in the southwest corner of Dracena and C Streets near downtown Bakersfield. Simon moved to San Diego and after attending College in Oakland, Maude returned to live in the home until 1958. Maude was active in the Woman's Club and served as President from 1938-1939. The house was donated to the house in 1959.

Norris School

The Norris School was a one-room schoolhouse built about 1882 north of Rosedale on land donated by Robert T. Norris. Cora Petty was the first teacher. A larger school was later built and in 1914 the building was moved to the Rosedale Ranch to be used fir storage. The building was donated to the Museum in 1958.
Norris School interior Norris School interior
Norris School interior showing desks and classroom furniture.
Norris School interior Norris School interior
Norris School interior showing desks and classroom furniture.

Wells Fargo

Stella Zumwalt donated two small ranch house to the Museum in 1959 to re-create this Wells, Fargo and Company express office. Henry Wells and William Fargo founded a banking and express company in 1852 to serve the mining industry. Wells, Fargo and Company transported gold, mail, and freight between small and larger cities. The Wells, Fargo and Company office in Kern County was established in Kern County at the county seat of Havilah in 1867 and this exhibit represents this office.
Exterior of Wells Fargo
Exterior of Wells Fargo.
Interior of Wells Fargo
Interior of Wells Fargo.
Interior of Wells Fargo
Interior of Wells Fargo.

Photographer's Studio

Photographer's Studio This residence was built in Kern City about 1890 and was donated to the Museum in1960. It depicts a Photographer's Studio of about 1890. About 1850, photography became available to common people. Traveling photographers set up temporary studios to supply portraits. There were at least 11 professional photographers in Kern County about 1890. This exhibit shows the equipment that a photographer would use.

Carpenters Shop

Carpenter Shop Doctor Clarence and Edna Compton owned this structure for over 50 years, using it as a carriage shed. Originally located at 1911 17th Street in Bakersfield, it was donated to the museum in 1977. Today the building is arranged as a carpenter shop of 1900. Carpentry shops were very important for building structures, furniture, vehicles, barrels, coffins and other important objects.
Carpenter Shop Carpenter Shop
Carpenter Shop interior with tools.

Assay Office

Assay Office
Assay Office.
This board and batten style building was donated to the Museum in1980. It is arranged as an Assay Office, an important business in the days of mining. Assayers tested gold and other valuable metals to determine purity of the oar. This exhibit represents the assay office at the Yellow Aster Mine in Randsburg.

Assay Office, Havilah Courier, and Undertaker
Assay Office, Havilah Courier, and Undertaker.
Assay Office and Havilah Courier
Assay Office and Havilah Courier.

Undertaker

This building was constructed at Kern River Park, now known as Hart Memorial Park, to house park employees and visitors. Today it displays materials that would have been used by an undertaker.
Undertaker Undertaker
Undertaker.

Hotel Fellows

L. R. Buchanan built the Hotel Fellows in 1910 for Martha Derminghem Buress. Martha, an immigrant from France, operated this room and board for oil working in the town of Fellows. Martha married Joe Randall in 1913. The Town of Fellows is almost abandoned now but the hotel moved from Midway Road in Fellow to the Museum in 1989.
Hotel Fellows Hotel Fellows
Hotel Fellows exterior.
Hotel Fellows Hotel Fellows
Hotel Fellows interior.
Hotel Fellows and oil equipment Hotel Fellows and oil equipment
Hotel Fellows and oil equipment

Bungalow

Bungalow This Bungalow was built about 1913 at 1215 L Street in Bakersfield and was donated to the Museum in1987 and is used by the Museum for offices. Bungalows were popular about 1900, as a simplified version of the Craftsman style of clean simple design and artful joinery. Bungalows were usually one story small buildings with porches.

Kern County Fair Exhibit Building

The Museum occupies land that was once the Kern County Fair Grounds. This structure was a community exhibit building to show locally grown produce and is now part of the Museum. The building was designed by Architect Charles H. Bigger in 1926.
Kern County Fair Exhibit Building Kern County Fair Exhibit Building
Kern County Fair Exhibit Building exterior.
Kern County Fair Exhibit Building Kern County Fair Exhibit Building
Kern County Fair Exhibit Building exterior.

Standard School

The Standard School District was formed in 1909 on five acres of land donated by Standard Oil Company to serve the large number of people moving to the area to work in the new oil industry. The schoolhouse was designed by Architect Orville L. Clark in 1911 and built on Oil Center Road. Later, in 1918, the building was moved to North Chester Avenue. The building later served other uses until donated to the Museum in 1991.
Standard School Standard School
Standard School.
Standard School Standard School
Standard School.

Curatorial Department

Curatorial Department Curatorial Department
Curatorial Department.

Road Making Equipment

A shed protects several pieces of road building equipment.
Road Making Equipment
Shed and equipment.
Scraper
Scraper.
Grader
Grader.
Dirt and Gravel Spreader
Dirt and Gravel Spreader used on 1925.
Grader and Spreader
Grader and Spreader.
Another piece
Another piece.

Sonora Service Station

This service station was built by Raymond G. Taylor at the corner of East 18th and Sonora Streets in Bakersfield in 1936. The service station was donated to the museum in1989.
Service Station Service Station
Service Station.
Service Station Service Station
Service Station.
Service Station Service Station
Service Station.
Service Station Service Station
Service Station.

Blacksmith Shop

This Blacksmith shop was built at the Calloway Ranch northwest of Bakersfield about 1890. Blacksmith shops were important throughout the country and most large ranches had their own. Smiths made and repaired a variety of metal tools, parts, horseshoes. This structure was donated to the museum in 1950.
Blacksmith Shop Blacksmith Shop
Blacksmith Shop exterior.
Blacksmith Shop Blacksmith Shop
Blacksmith Shop interior.
Blacksmith Shop Blacksmith Shop
Blacksmith Shop interior.
Blacksmith Shop and Cook Wagon
Blacksmith Shop and Cook Wagon.
Blacksmith Shop and Corral
Blacksmith Shop and Corral

Cook Wagon

This Cook Wagon served as a portable kitchen for field hands employed by the Kern County Land Company which once owned large areas of land. The wagon contains a pantry for storing vegetables and bread, a sink, a work space with bins of flour and sugar, and a meat locker. The wagon was donated to the Museum in 1958.
Cook Wagon Cook Wagon
Cook Wagon exterior.
Cook Wagon
Cook Wagon exterior.
Cook Wagon
Cook Wagon interior.

Stock Corral

This Stock Corral was built at the Museum in 2004 to represent similar constructions throughout the Southwest to holding horses and other stock.
Stock Corral
Corral with SP Daylight behind.
Stock Corral
Corral with Mission behind.

Signs

Sign: Entrance
Sign: Entrance.
Sign: Jim Baker Electrifier
Sign: Jim Baker Electrifier.
Sign: Far East restaurant Sign: Far East restaurant
Sign: Far East restaurant.
Signs: Saba's and Shafter Drugs
Signs: Saba's and Shafter Drugs.
Signs: Shafter Drugs
Signs: Shafter Drugs.
Signs: Saba's, Shafter Drugs, Tops Market
Signs: Saba's, Shafter Drugs, Tops Market.
Sign: Tops Market
Sign: Tops Market.
Old light posts
Old light posts waiting to be reinstalled.

Oil

There are two primary industries in Kern County, agriculture and Oil. Some of the largest oil fields in America are in Kern County which was, millions of years ago, on the floor of an ocean. As animals died and settled to the floor, they were buried and over the years, the carbon in their bodies became oil. The Museum has many oil related displays.
Well 29 Well 29
Well 29.
Well 29 The plaque says:
Pacific Oil Company
November 1922
(Later to become Standard Oil of California)
Sunset Field                 Well No.
Section 27-31-23-B         29
Donated by ChevronTexaco
Pumper
Pumper.
Pumper
Pumper.
Equipment
Equipment.
Oil pipe
Oil pipe.
Oil exhibits
Oil exhibits.
Fellows Oil
Fellows Oil.

Steam engine Steam engine
Steam engines.
Steam engines
Steam engines.

Black Gold Exhibit Building

The Black Gold Exhibit Building is a collection of exhibits to the oil industry in Kern County.
Black Gold Exhibit Building Black Gold Exhibit Building
Front facade/ entrance to the Black Gold Exhibit Building.
Exhibits relating to oil and automobiles Exhibits relating to oil and automobiles
Cars use a lot of oil.
Exhibits relating to oil and automobiles Exhibits relating to oil and automobiles
Exhibits relating to oil and automobiles.
Tools
Tools.
Oil Transport
Oil Transport.
Black Gold Theater
Black Gold Theater and Hippodrome.
diving bell diving bell
This simulates a dive into the ocean in a diving bell.
diving bell diving bell
This simulates a dive into the ocean in a diving bell.
oil drilling oil drilling
After leaving the diving bell, the final space is about oil drilling.
oil drilling oil drilling
After leaving the diving bell, the final space is about oil drilling.
oil drilling oil drilling
After leaving the diving bell, the final space is about oil drilling.
Black Gold Exhibit Building
Back side of Black Gold Exhibit Building and Well Number 29.

Cable Tool Drill

The discovery of oil near the Kern River in 1899 launched the oil industry in Kern County. Kerns County's four large oil fields have made it one of the most important oil producers in the United States. Hundreds of these wooden derricks were constructed to drill for oil. These rigs created the wells from which the oil was extracted. This replica rig was constructed in 1957.
Cable Tool Drill derrick Cable Tool Drill derrick
This derrick is a reproduction.
Cable Tool Drill Platform
Platform.
Plaque
Plaque.
Cable Tool Drill derrick
Derrick.
Cable Tool Drill derrick
Derrick with machinery shed.
Cable Tool Drill derrick
Derrick with machinery shed.
Cable Tool Drill derrick
Derrick with machinery shed.


Red Bank Jack

Red Bank Jack
Pump.
Red Bank Jack Red Bank Jack
Machinery for running the pump.
Red Bank Jack Red Bank Jack
Machinery for running the pump.

Back Area


Back corner area Back corner area
Back corner area.
Farm equipment Farm equipment.
Mechanical shovel Mechanical shovel
Mechanical shovel.
Railroad Flagman's Building
This Railroad Flagman's Building was originally located in Monolith near Tehachapi. The Flagman provided safety at certain road crossings and other situations.
Santa Fe Refrigerator Car Santa Fe Refrigerator Car
Santa Fe Refrigerator Car. Built by the American Car and Foundry Company in 1917, this Rr-U class ventilator and refrigerator car could carry 10,500 pounds of ice. The car was donated to the Museum in 2001.

Southern Pacific Daylight Railroad Car

This 44-seat passenger rail car was built by the Pullman-Standard Company in 1939 for Southern Pacific Railroad. The car began service in 1940 as part of the Morning Daylight between Los Angeles and San Francisco then joined the Amtrak system in 1972 and retired in 1976. Railroads help build the west as they cut travel time from months to days. Railroads lost influence in the 1950s and 1960s as air travel became popular although rail travel is still popular on select routes. After retirement, the car was used by the Sandstone Brick Company as a restaurant then the Kern County Superintendent of Schools acquiring it in 1999 who donated it to the Museum in 2008.
Southern Pacific Daylight Railroad Car Southern Pacific Daylight Railroad Car
Southern Pacific Daylight Railroad Car.
Southern Pacific Daylight Railroad Car Southern Pacific Daylight Railroad Car
Trucks (wheels) of the Daylight railroad car.
Southern Pacific Daylight Railroad Car Southern Pacific Daylight Railroad Car
Southern Pacific Daylight Railroad Car.

Discovery Center

Discovery Center exterior Discovery Center exterior
Discovery Center exterior.
Discovery Center interior Discovery Center interior
Discovery Center interior.
Discovery Center interior
Discovery Center interior.

Sculptures Sculptures
Sculptures.
Millstone
Millstone

Top Back to Earth Back
Kern County Main Page

This page last updated: Wednesday, 17-May-2017 13:24:01 EDT

Note:This is not the official site for any of the places shown in Places Earth. Places Earth is not responsible for accuracy of the information. Hours of operations, prices, exhibits, and sometimes locations are subject to change without notice.

Support this Web Site

I hope that you find this web site helpful. It started because of my love for Architecture and interest in History. I don't allow paid advertising (but this may change). This web site is for your benefit and enjoyment and I make no profit on it. For ten years it has been supported primarily from my regular paycheck as a Set Designer and there haven't been many the last few years. I can no longer run it without help. Alternative funding is needed. A non-tax deductable donation helps cover the cost of operating this web site and may be made to Kesign Design Consulting through PayPal.

Buy my Photographs or Art.
My Art

Or donations can be mailed to the address on the contact page.
If you are in the need of a designer, please see my portfolio site www.kesigndesign.com.
Kesign Design Consulting
or Set Design Portfolio.

Links

Home | Contact | Road Trips | Sales | Space | USA| Ken Larson | K L Images | U. S. Mission Trail
Web Design This site maintained by Kenneth A. Larson.
Copyright © 2004 - 2017, Kenneth A. Larson. All Rights Reserved.
Website content including photographic and graphic images may not be redistributed for use on another website.
Please Don't Pirate Videos
Valid HTML 5 Transitional Valid CSS!